Gotham kicks off Season 2 tonight, and we spoke with the “heroes” of the series at San Diego Comic-Con 2015. Here are some highlights from round table interviews with Ben McKenzie (Jim Gordon), David Mazouz (Bruce Wayne), and Sean Pertwee (Alfred Pennyworth), plus you can watch the full interviews below.
- There are big changes for Jim in Season 2. Oswald Cobblepot is the king of Gotham, and Gordon is at his lowest. When we first see him, he’s working as a traffic cop and bitter about it, but things change quickly.
- Oswald still thinks they’re friends in his demented way. This “friendship” between them is born out of being able to do favors for each other.
- More people will join Gordon in the fight against corruption.
- The crime families were destroyed in Season 1, so Season 2 is the rise of the villains. It’s no longer about money-driven law and order in Gotham. Anarchy and an arms race have taken over.
- The lines are blurry for Jim as soon as Season 2 begins. His morality is put aside to do what’s best for the greater good.
- Barbara is now the psychotic ex-girlfriend, which puts a strain on Jim’s relationship with Thompkins.
- Finding his father’s hidden room is a turning point for Bruce, starting a different chapter in his life.
- The transformation into Batman will begin, but Bruce will also start developing his party boy/playboy persona.
- Bruce and Alfred’s relationship changes. They go through a rough patch, and then become a team.
- The villains in Gotham shift from mobsters to super villains, so the “good guys” will have to team up. You’ll see Jim Gordon and Bruce together more this year, and Bruce will be getting out more. Also, Lucius Fox will be a part of this team of heroes.
- Bruce and Selina have an unbreakable chemistry, but him becoming Batman will change their relationship. They will go through rough patches, but end up friends again.
- There will be a rift between Alfred and Bruce, but then a coming back together as they start to develop Bruce’s alter ego.
- Lucius Fox is a new addition to the good guys, which is needed as Gotham is going to hell under the rule of the villains.
- We will see how damaged Alfred is, and how his three-piece suit holds it all in.
- He’s excited for the first three episodes, and says that Season 2 is less about standalone episodes and more about the overall story.
Photos and Videos by Melissa Girimonte. Copyright © 2015 The Televixen