I love it when Supernatural can change it up and explore territory they’ve never touched on before, which is hard to do after over 150 episodes. “Bitten” was an experiment in a hand-held camera style documentary much in the vein of Paranormal Activity or Chronicle, both of which are super sweet if you can handle the shakiness of the camera movements. Sometimes I can, other times are more difficult. There were moments throughout the episode when I thought I might need an airsick bag even though I was sitting still in my chair. The long periods without a commercial break definitely helped give it a documentary type feel, as did the lack of our usual Sam and Dean time. I know Jensen said in a recent interview that he enjoyed the extra time off and hoped we would ask for more episodes like this one. Sorry buddy. We just love you both too darn much to ask for less of you. Ever.
There were other interesting things about the episode. I always love getting to see Sam and Dean through the eyes of others. We so rarely get a perspective that isn’t their own. Another perspective we almost never get, outside a cold open, is that of the victims the monsters that slay them, the people the monsters are BEFORE they become that way and the people who love them. Brian, Kate and Michael helped give depth and feeling to the things the Winchesters have been hunting for years. Something that will give me pause with every monster they gank going forward. Very cool.
A few other notes & quotes:
- A nice bloody opening filled with jams that sound like they’re from this century. Weird. The music not the blood.
- Note to self. Never let Dean near my iPod. He seems to be largely adverse to them no matter where they are.
- This kind of shaky camera episode makes me almost glad my TV isn’t any bigger.
- Is that college teaching “Lord of the Flies?” Pretty sure I read that in middle school.
- So the lonely kid wants to be bitten also but the bitten kid doesn’t want him to. I have that right, right?
- I am so stoked that post-Leviathan means that we are back to the rock & roll aliases. These latest courtesy of Guns N’ Roses.
- “I am a Golden God.” Isn’t that a quote from Almost Famous? GREAT movie.
- The close up on that fingernail sprouting almost guaranteed the necessity of that airsick bag.
- Is every kid at this school obsessed with cameras? Even the douchey jocks?
- “Clear eyes, clogged arteries, can’t lose.” FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS REFERENCE. Pardon me while I fangirl.
- I will be sending thank you notes to whomever tailors those white shirts for the guys. They are doing one hell of a job.
- “I’m pretty sure FBI agents don’t say ‘awesome’ that much.”
- “You’re probably right about that office romance thing.” This show you guys.
- Are they treading into Teen Wolf territory with that Greek symbol?
- Another song from this decade? Did I hear that correctly?
- What the hell? When did she become one? We have to assume that Michael did it, right? Did I miss something?
- “Hey Sam. Do I really say ‘awesome’ a lot?” It’s okay Dean. We love you either way.
- Anyone else hoping we’ll get to see Kate again someday? I love that ending!!
This episode was a blast. Tons of fun and a really cool idea. Dare I say “awesome?” Love it when our show can stay fresh and keep me on my toes. Also really looking forward to next week’s “Blood Brother.” More Benny, more Winchesters, more of that Supernatural angst we all thrive on. What did you guys think of this new style? Are you ready for some fang time on Halloween?
Photo Courtesy of The CW